When I read the article “New Teacher Tips” (click on the link to read it), I was brought back in time to quite a few years ago. Being a new teacher was exciting, anxiety-producing, and fulfilling. I still get butterflies in my stomach on the first day of each new school year. Otis Kriegel presents ten tips for brand new teachers. Number 10 is especially valuable: Collect many mentors! The advice of my mentors will always stick with me. I can hear their voices in the following advice:
* You can do anything for a year! (SO TRUE!)
* Some lessons just don’t work. Try something different tomorrow, don’t get discouraged.
* You may not like a kid, but you still need to love him.
* Once a child is in your class, he/she will be your kid for the rest of his/her life.
* Don’t go to the teacher’s lounge–the negative talk will bring you down.
Here is my advice: ALWAYS greet your students at your door as often as you can. It makes a difference.
What is your best advice for new teachers?